Giulio Bartolini (born in Siena, 11/6/1976) is Associate Professor of International Law at the Department of Law, University of “Roma Tre” where he teaches International Humanitarian Law, International Organizations Law, International and EU Disaster Law (Jean Monnet Module) and is responsible for the IHL Legal Clinic. He obtained a PhD in International and European Law at “La Sapienza” University, Rome, in 2004.
Publications and research activities:
- He has published two books (reviews in Annuaire français de droit international and Revue trimestrielle des droits de l’homme) and numerous articles in international and national legal journals and edited volumes published by prestigious international publishing.
- He is member of the editorial board of the peer-reviewed legal journals: The Italian Yearbook of International Law; QIL-Questions of International Law, Diritti umani e diritto internazionale and Diritto pubblico comparato e europeo.
- He has presented papers at conferences and lectures in several Foreign and Italian Universities and Research Centres, such as: the Biennial Conference of the European Society of International Law; the Centre for Studies and Research of the Hague Academy of International Law; the Congress of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, Quebec City; the British Institute of International and Comparative Law; the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Vanderbilt, Westminster, Luxembourg, Jerusalem, Trento, Naples, Milan, Florence, Teramo, Pisa, Macerata, Ferrara, Catania, Bologna.
- In 2016 (February-July) he was visiting fellow at Leiden University, Kalshoven IHL Forum. In 2014 he was a visiting fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and at the King’s College, Department of War Studies, London, while in 2007 he was visiting researcher at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge.
Direction and participation in international and national projects:
- Prof.Bartolini is responsible for the Jean Monnet Module "International and EU Disaster Law" aimed to explore legal issues related to the disaster-cycle and challenges faced by humanitarian actors as International Organisations, States, NGOs.
- He is also leading the Roma Tre IHL Legal Clinic currently working on two research projects in cooperation with the ICRC in order to identify positive examples in the application of IHL by parties involved in conflicts (This research is carried out in cooperation with a network of other IHL Legal Clinics based at Leiden University, Emory Law School and Radzyner Law School) and the Italian Red Cross as to update the Italian practice in IHL for the ICRC's Customary IHL Database.
- Prof. Bartolini is jointly responsible for the 3-years research project “International Disaster Response Law: Rules and Principles of International and EU Law Concerning the Prevention and Management of Natural and Man-made Disasters” (2013-2016), funded by the Italian Ministry for University within the framework of the programme “Futuro in ricerca” (code RBFR12Y56K_004). The project involves several Universities and relevant stakeholders, such as the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC) – Disaster Law Programme, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Sanremo, the Italian Civil Protection Department, ALNAP, and the Italian Red Cross.
- In this regard, since 2014 he has collaborated with Dr. Eduardo Valencia-Ospina, Special Rapporteur of the International Law Commission on “The Protection of Persons in the Event of Disaster”. In particular he has acted as legal assistant during sessions at the ILC and has provided assistance in the elaboration of reports submitted to the ILC. Furthermore he has organised an expert meeting convened at Roma Tre University on 8th-9th June 2015 to discuss the Draft Articles on the Protection of Persons in the Event of Disasters adopted on first reading by the ILC with the participation of senior representatives of the legal offices of main international and humanitarian organizations working in this area (WHO, FAO, IFRC, WFP, EU, UNISDR, NATO, ICRC, UN Legal Division, IOM, OXFAM), other members of the ILC and distinguished academics.
- He is co-director of the course “International Disaster Law”, jointly organised since 2014 by the IFRC, the International Institute of Humanitarian Law and the IDL Project held in Sanremo and he is scientific director of training courses on “International Disaster Response Law” organised for the Italian Red Cross staff since 2013. He has provided consultant activities to the International Organisation for Migration in the area of disaster law.
- In this context, with the ASIL -Interest Group on Disaster Law and Vanderbilt University, he has organised the “Symposium This is Not a Drill: Confronting Legal Issues in the Wake of International Disasters” (February 2015) whose proceedings have been published as special issue of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, vol. 48, October 2015, number 4. Similarly he has organised a joint workshop on disaster law with the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (16th April 2014). He is currently managing an edited volume on human rights and disasters.
He has also formally been involved in other projects funded at the international and national level such as:
- (2013) European Commission, Jean Monnet Teaching Modules (EAC/S07/12), EU Disaster response law in an international context, University of Milan, Member of the key teaching staff;
- (2011) European Commission, VIIth EU Framework programme. Collaborative project n. 217405 “PRIV-WAR. Regulating privatization of war: The role of the EU in assuring the compliance with international humanitarian law and human rights”. Research contract;
- (2005) MIUR, Programma di ricerca di rilevante interesse nazionale. Member of the research unit of the Project 2005124155_001 “L’integrazione tra le politiche di immigrazione: immigrazione economica, immigrazione illegale e diritto fondamentale di asilo”.
- In 2015 the President of the Italian Red Cross awarded him the official Silver Medal “Al Merito” for his role in the promotion and dissemination of international humanitarian law.
- In 2007 he obtained the prize “Premio SIDI 2006”. The prize is awarded by the Italian Society of International Law for the best article in International Law, European Union Law and Private International Law published by a young scholar in 2006.
- In 2006 he has been the first Italian researcher to obtain the Diploma in Human Rights Law by the European University Institute (the Diploma is conferred to two-three researchers each year)
Collaboration with scientific societies, research centres, public institutions in relation to scientific activities.
- a) Italian Society of International Law.
In the years 2009-2012 he was an elected member of the Board of Governors of the Italian Society of International Law (7 members). Member of the ISIL.
- b) National Commission for international humanitarian law, Italian Red Cross:
Legal adviser of the Italian Red Cross on international humanitarian law and disaster law issues. In particular since 2010 he has been an appointed member of the Scientific Committee of the National Commission for International Humanitarian Law, Italian Red Cross. On behalf of the Italian Red Cross he participates (since 2008) in international meetings of the European Legal Support Group (ELSG), a network of heads of IHL offices (or experts) of the European Red Cross Societies. He has been entrusted with the scientific organization of several national conferences on IHL funded by the Italian Red Cross (2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016), and is responsible for updating the Italian practice on IHL for the ICRC’s study on Customary International Humanitarian Law (CUP). As legal adviser he was part of the delegation of the Italian Red Cross to the 32nd International Conference of Red Cross and Red Crescent (Geneva, 8-10 December 2015)
- c) International Institute of Humanitarian Law (IIHL), San Remo:
Full member of the IIHL since 2008. Since 2014 course director of the “International Disaster Law Course” organisd in cooperation with the IIHL and the International Federation of Red Cross In particular he has been appointed as “course director” for the joint course organised by the IIHL, the Ministry of Defence of Montenegro and the Italian MFA (Podgorica, November 2015) and has lectured in courses for the local armed forces held in Sarajevo, Pristina, Skopje, Sanremo, Rome.
- (2011-2015) Co-Director of the Master’s programme in “International Military and Strategic Studies” of the Joint Services Staff College (Istituto Superiore Stato Maggiore Interforze) in Rome, the Italian Ministry of Defence’s highest training centre for senior officers of the Italian Armed Forces. He has also lectured “International Law and International Humanitarian Law” on this Master’s programme and for the courses for “Legal Advisers” organized by the Ministry of Defence.
- (since 2012) Lecturer of International Humanitarian Law (course held in English), Department of Law, Roma Tre University. Since 2015 lecturer in International Organisations Law at the same Department
- 2011-2012, Lecturer of International Law, LUMSA, Rome
- 2006-2013 Lecturer of International Humanitarian Law, Department of Political Science, Siena University and in 2005-2006, lecturer of Human Rights law in the same Department
- 2004-2005 Lecturer of International Economic Law, Department of Economics, Roma Tre University
- 2002-2007, Lecturer of Human Rights Law, Master in “Human Rights and Humanitarian Action”, Siena University