Spring Semester (March 1 - May 31, 2023)
International Arbitration 2023
Prof. Maria Beatrice Deli
Course Learning Objectives:
• To understand the basic practical and historical reasons for the development of international arbitration as a means of dispute resolution in international trade and foreign direct investment.
• To develop a thorough knowledge of the main international instruments for the harmonisation of international arbitration worldwide.
• To understand the importance of the lex arbitri and to acquire a satisfactory degree of familiarity with the provisions of several domestic/international arbitration statutes.
• To become familiar with the different available types of arbitration.
• To understand the fundamental principles governing the validity of arbitration agreements.
• To identify scope and limits of the jurisdiction of arbitral tribunals.
• To acquire the ability to draft different arbitration clauses in the presence of different scenarios.
• To acquire the ability to analyse pre-drafted arbitration clauses and to identify potential difficulties.
• To become acquainted with the main issues relating to the conduct of arbitration proceedings in different jurisdictions and under the arbitration rules of different arbitral institutions.
• To acquire the practical ability to prepare written submissions and to develop sufficient skills to perform basic oral advocacy tasks.
• To become familiar with the main issues connected to the gathering of evidence in international arbitration.
• To develop sufficient knowledge on recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards.
• To become familiar with the main peculiarities of foreign investment arbitration.